Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Monday Miles, Part 1!

I know, I know, it's Tuesday. But Monday was a busy day for me. Considering I had two classes, practice, a second workout, three meetings, and a presentation due the next day, I acquiesce that I could not get to blogging, sadly. Today is different. Today a trend is going to be developed.

Inspired by the hashtag "#MondayMiles" that Runner's World Magazine, the world's most venerable print running voice, created on Twitter, I have decided to begin a weekly "Monday Miles" report of my own where everyone can share their workouts from the previous week. I'm hoping that, eventually, all of us runners can share workouts and stories to collectively benefit all those who are reading. For me, though, a pretty short week, as it was my first full week back since Boston.

Monday: an easy 6 miles in 41 minutes

Tuesday: an easy 6 miles in 43 minutes
The year's first 80-degree day is one I always welcome with a cold shoulder. Pun INtended.

Wednesday: off.
This was a day where I was hoping to run more, but I was actually sore after two days of running. Wasn't a good sign. This partially inspired the previous "Big Sponge Theory" detailed in my previous post.

Thursday: 8 miles in 52 minutes
A major relief, considering I thought I was in rough shape and didn't recover as much. This run showed that I was going to be okay.

Friday: 7 miles in 45 minutes
Took a stroll on my favorite route that led me to go a little faster than I wanted. Even introduced some strides for the first time that went well.

Saturday: 8 miles, 54 minutes

Sunday: 5 miles, 34 minutes

TOTAL: 40 miles

I was hitting double this weekly mileage routinely during the apex of my training for Boston in the winter. And I don't know which one was tougher; even with stretching three times a day, shorter runs and an overall break, I am still sore after this week. I know my sponge is almost entirely full still. That means no workouts for at least another two weeks. As long as I take it easy for another two weeks, though, I am sure that I'll be ready to start bumping mileage at that time. Then, I'll be needing some motivation, which is the subject of my next post: those that inspire me (and a major thank you to all them).

So what were your Monday miles this week? Any interesting workouts? Put them down and we can hopefully get a good discussion going.

1 comment:

  1. I take Monday's off! I'm building my mileage up (did 7.7 on Sunday) as I begin early preparations for a fall marathon.

    Did a quick (for me) 5K speed work out at 7:35/mile. My GMP will be about 7:55-8:00/miles so I can hopefully break 3:30 marathon.

    I'll do 4 easy miles on Thursday and 5 on Friday. Sunday (weather permitting) will be 8-9 miles at 8:30/mile pace.

    -Kent Rinehart

    ReplyDelete