Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dear Legs

Dear Legs,

I’ve decided to run the Boston Marathon again this April.  I don’t know if you heard but the rumors are true.  Yes, you’re going to have a lot of stress under you these next five months.  Stop complaining; I just gave you five full days off.  Plus, at least I gave you fair warning this time.

Now, legs, I’m even going to tell you how I’m going to do it.   This way you’ll be extra prepared for what’s coming.  I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt this time.  I’ll treat you better. I’ll roll you guys out more.  I’ll stretch you guys out five times per day, instead of three.  And, yes, I’ll even give you a weekly ice bath, even though I loathe them.  Just get me from Hopkinton to Boston in less than two hours and 40 minutes and I’ll give you whatever you want.

Things are going to be a little different this time around.  First, those 20+ mile long run days; they’re now on Mondays.  Why? Because Boston is on a Monday. 

Remember those times where I told you that we would be running 80 miles per week in last year’s build up for Boston? I do, too. 

 I also remember not doing that.

We were closer to 70-75 than 75-80.  Not good.  As soon as the build up to mileage ends, we’re staying at 80 miles per week.  Don’t worry, at least one day will be six miles or shorter. 

 And, you may find this interesting, but I’m introducing something new to training this year: cross-training! That’s right.  While biking is the bane of both our existences, I won’t subject us to that.  Instead, we’ll be aqua jogging two nights per week.  Sorry, but that doesn’t excuse us from two doubles running per week either.  It’s four doubles now.

 Look, guys. I know it’s going to be tough.  Even tougher than last time.  But, do you want the glory? Do you want that feeling of invincibility after? The race is going to hurt as will the 12-mile tempo runs, 23-mile long runs and ice baths.  It all will.  But I promise you it will be worth it.  If you get me to under 2:40 that day, I’ll give you guys a full three weeks off, massages included.

Get me there in less than two hours and forty minutes, and I’ll repay you guys heavily.

Get me there in less than two hours and forty minutes, and I’ll be forever grateful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment